Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

Japan

Dear Japan,

I don't know you, but I've always been a big fan of yours. I am as deeply pained by your suffering as an outsider can be. This whole scenario is unfathomable to me. I didn't know that earthquakes could get so big! I am at a total loss of words over this event.

I wish to express compassion and empathy, but words fail me. I am silenced both by the tragedy of this event, and by the awe that the damage wasn't worse. If a quake like that struck Hawaii, where I live, I'm pretty sure we'd be almost completely wiped out.

I wish I could wrap my head around this so I could be more proactive in what I can do to help. I'm just stunned. Every time I think about the damage, the loss of life, I feel like I got punched in the stomach.

I may not know you, but I know people over there. People I used to work with. I hope they're ok. I hope you're all ok. I want to hug you all, make you some soup, wrap you in blankets, and tell you that we're going to get through this.

Stay strong, Japan. I don't know you, but I love you. Get better soon. I will be looking for ways to help. You are a strong, innovative country filled with resilient people. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and may all of those who didn't make it through this tragic event rest in peace.

Love,

Jess

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way, and we do get quakes here. I'm sending lots of good wishes to the whole country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree. Love you Jess and your big heart & I love your Blog =))

    ReplyDelete